Thursday, July 30, 2009

Help! I've fallen down the rabbit hole and I can't get up!

So today is one of those days where I think I'll have to make a mandatory demand of myself to go home and take a nap (or at the very least, lie/lay down in bed). I have been doing a mass online craft/ indie and freelance designer site hunt because I feel like I need to be more immersed in all the goings on of the craft world. I think I may have overdone it a little. Oops! Now, I am just totally overwhelmed by all the new things I'm finding out about and feel like I should be revamping and scrapping some of my stuff.

On the one hand, finding out about lots of stuff like Bust Magazine (where have I been that I haven't found out about this already btw?) is awesome amazing. On the other other hand, scoping out lots of other artists' works makes me really doubt my jewelry and its originality. On top of that, I feel like I should re-do all the photos I have of my work to get better quality pics with less shadows, etc. However, I don't really have the money to cough up a chunk of change for a light box or any fancy pants photography equipment. That task is just daunting enough in itself because I hate taking pictures. It's probably one of my least favorite regular tasks for maintaining my Etsy site and business in general. All this online hunting also makes me feel like I'll never be able to get the word out to people about my jewelry. I've contemplated just giving away a lot of jewelry for free to my friends in hopes that it would make me get a fresh start, but that would be a huge waste of money. I think I also kinda hate having to think about the business side of things for selling my jewelry when I just want to purely pursue the art aspect. *le sigh* Enough about that though!

I've added a few things onto the blog- a few new sites to share with y'all as well as a few DGAJ press spots (hopefully there will be more to add to this in the future!). Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated anyhow! I'm sure this is just one of my spells where I'm convinced that everything I make is unoriginal/not all that great in the first place and that I'll be over it in a few days. Hope everyone's looking forward to the weekend!

Action Jackson out.

4 comments:

Kim23 said...

You JUST found out about BUST??? That's crazy.

And yes, the more I look at other people's jewelry and art, the less original and creative I feel. It really sucks. I'm still not completely out of my funk...can you tell?

Tess Carter said...

hey camille- was reading through your blog & saw your light box angst. You can actually make your own lightbox pretty affordably. I've never had to make a 'permanent' one, but here is a tutorial from another blog I read and how she fashioned one for her successful online business...

http://makingitlovely.com/2008/10/16/faq-product-photography-part-two/

:)

Camille said...

I made a light box a long time ago and have used it for all the pics I've taken thus far. Recently, someone recommended I just add another Ott Light to the equation, so I think I'll try that and see how it goes.

Tess Carter said...

sounds good- in my experience, the more you play around with them, the better you get :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...